UGANDA VOICES INITIAVE 2010

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

ART, TRANSFORMATION & HIP HOP. Luga flow Meets Corey Pane a special Artist from Connecticut, USA.

There some many ways to influence a community with your passion to what you do. Bavubuka foundation is proud to have connected with COREY PANE a brilliant, phenomenal artist from connecticut who is one of the most unique hip hop  painter in the  hip hop industry and communities through his art.
Corey's Art piece at Trinity Hip hop Festival 2010
Bavubuka Foundation leader spoke to Corey and this is what he had to say:

Introduce your self:
My name is Corey Pane I am an artist from Connecticut, USA. I have always been interested in art and the creative side of life since I was a child. I was always drawing as a kid, as I grew up, I stopped for a while to try to get into other things like music, playing guitar or drums. But then I abruptly moved back to drawing again. Like any artist, it is just something inside me that I need to get out, no matter what kind of creative form that involves, whether it be visual art, music, film, poetry, etc. I like to spread myself out and not get trapped in one spot, being labeled as a certain type of artist. My first love and natural gift is to express myself through painting, but I like to try my hand at all types of art and mediums.




What would you call your style of art?
I wouldn’t really know what to call my style of art, because I see it as always changing and evolving. Many people view it as realistic or photo-realistic, but that isn’t my main intent, my main intent is to capture a certain emotion or expression that is significant to the person or the story I am trying to tell in the piece. Right now most of the time, that just happens to be in a more realistic style, but that can change depending on the piece and whatever I’m feeling or see best fit for that piece.





 Where do you get your inspiration from?
Tshila's potrait by Corey Pane
I get inspiration from all over the place, but most of it comes from film. I love film as an art form and to see different stories unfold. The same goes for music and books, actually I just love stories now matter where they come from. That is what I try to do in my own work as an artist I like to tell stories. It could be an issue in the world or a more personal story, and maybe those stories can change or be seen different by different people, but I try to get at least one main point across, that hopefully everyone can recognize.




Saba Saba & babaluku's Portrait's painted by Corey Pane

What inspired you embark on a journey to explore your artistic elements?
I would say music played a big role in what inspired me to embark on a journey to explore my artistic elements. I have always thought music is the most true and pure art form there is. For me it evokes a feeling like nothing else in the world, so one day when I was about 15 or 16, I was hanging out listening to Bob Marley, and for whatever reason, something just suddenly came over me and I felt really moved and inspired to go try to draw his portrait. I spent days on it, meticulously trying to capture every detail of his face as well as the lion on the other side of his head. I was really proud of it and I got that special feeling an artist gets when you create something and get it out of you, and I’ve been chasing that feeling ever since.

 
Saba Saba Of Bataka Squad
How did you come to know about Babaluku and the Uganda hip hop movement...
I first came to know about the Uganda hip hop movement and Babaluku, through Uganda hip hop artist, Saba Saba. He came to Connecticut to perform when I was in high school, I was at the show selling t-shirts I painted in the back, and I really loved his performance with the things he was talking about in his music and the way he was rapping in his native tongue for some songs. I kept in touch with him after that night and ended up doing some artwork for him, and through him I was introduced to other Uganda hip hop like Babaluku and the Bataka Squad, and other African artists like Wanlov the Kubolor and K’naan as well.

Just listening to the stories of people from a different part of the world really inspired me, and to show my love and appreciation, I decided to do some paintings based on all those artists and what they talk about in their music.
Corey's paint of KRS One at Trinity Hip Hop Festival
Corey with KRS One

How as you expression of art through hip hop contributed to you life?
 My expression of art through hip hop has contributed a lot to my life as a whole, it has first of all led me to meet many talented and wonderful people which have led to some great friendships. It has allowed me to connect with people that I may not have ever gotten the chance to connect with and build a global family that can take me anywhere. It has also given me the opportunity to create some amazing pieces of artwork. Hip hop has made a certain mark on my spirit that stays with me when I create, its just a vide that you feel and you know its hip hop.


How would you describe you intentions in your work through?

With all my art, my intent is to create pieces that tell a story and evoke emotion or thought that can change depending on the person. I want people to just see whatever they see. I may have an idea in my head of my own story or feeling I am trying to get across, but that could be completely different for someone else. I guess it depends on what they’ve seen and been through in their lives. I love that about art, I love when someone tells me something about my art that I never even thought of or noticed before.
And if my pieces can help make a change for someone or something in the world, that would be even better. Or even if it can make someone realize something or give them insight to a way they never thought of. Also I need to just create for me, I have a lot of ideas that build up inside me and I just need to get them out.
Have you ever been to Africa id so where?
I have never been to Africa, I dream of one day being able to go. It seems like such a beautiful place, some of my friends have been, and they say it will change your life and I know it will.


Babaluku with Corey Pane at Trinity Hip hop Festival.

How do you think art can strengthen the youth in the continent?
Art can strengthen the youth in the continent by letting them express themselves and speak to a global audience that doesn’t even need to speak or understand the same language, because they speak the language of art. I think any form of art will change a person for the better, it gives you more soul. Art can make a change for the youth no matter where they are in the world, whether they are rich or poor or whatever. It can help make a change on a bigger level maybe within the community or a feeling in society, or even just a small change within yourself. Art can bring people together in ways they might not have otherwise, sometimes you need to work with other people and collaborate with different talents to be able to make a vision come to life. Just like they way there is a certain comradely and teamwork with a sports team.

He has been fortunate enough to be able to create art for musicians such as State Radio, ReadNex Poetry Squad, Saba Saba and the Bataka Squad, Self Suffice (the RapOet),Babaluku & Balabyekkubo legacy and Wanlov The Kubolor. He has also done art for many organizations and foundations to help raise money and support causes he believes in fighting for. He would like to continue this type of work along with commissions and whatever other interesting opportunities may arise.
Corey is constantly trying to learn and absorb as much information and knowledge as he can, whether it be though books, music, sports, film, or whatever else he comes across and apply that to his art.

SUPPORT & LEARN MORE ABOUT COREY ART HERE. www.coreypane.com
Written By: Bwette Daniel Gilbert.

2 comments:

  1. Serious. Good shit for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your art work Corey... Iam very inspired.

    Jeanine!!!

    The Credit union Lady :))

    ReplyDelete

Share it